Skip to main content

Building Number

  1. 1. When should the application for building number for a new building be made?

    The developer or Authorised Person may apply for building number for a new building to the Department in writing after the consent to commence building works has been given. To help the public identify new developments at an early stage, provisional building numbers can be allocated (please refer to Practice Note for the building numbering principles).

    The Department will allocate official building numbers to new buildings upon receipt of completion documents.
  2. 2. My building is located in rural area and I wish to apply for a building number. What information do I need to provide?

    You can download the Application Form (Form BN2) and send the completed form together with the necessary documents to the Department.
  3. 3. Is there any specification for manner of displaying building numbers?

    For displaying clearly visible building numbers, the Department has the following recommendations:
    • The number should be located above or at either side of the entrance to the premises and should not be obscured.
    • The recommended minimum height for each number is 50mm and width is 40mm.
    • The colour of the number or number plate should contrast clearly with its background.
    • Damaged numbers should be repaired and missing numbers replaced as soon as possible.
  4. 4. What should I do if I find that some building numbers are not displayed?

    If you have come across any shops/buildings that are not displayed with their building numbers, please provide information to the Department for follow-up action. You may :
    1. download a Report Form (Form BN1) from the Department’s website;
    2. obtain a Building Numbering Leaflet (sample in pdf format) (printed with the Report Form) from the Enquiry Counter of the Department on 15th Floor, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon or Home Affairs Department’s Home Affairs Enquiry Centres and return the completed Report Form to us by fax, email or post; or
    3. submit an electronic form (Form e-BN1) by using the “Electronic Submission of Forms” service provided on the Department’s website.
  5. 5. Who is responsible for displaying building numbers?

    The owner is liable for the display of building number allocated by the Department. Under Section 32(2) of the Buildings Ordinance (Chapter 123), the Commissioner of Rating and Valuation is empowered to serve an order requiring the owner of a building to mark the building with the allocated building number.
  6. 6. What are the penalties for not displaying building numbers?

    A person who, without reasonable excuse, fails to comply with the display order issued by the Commissioner of Rating and Valuation under Section 32(2) of the Buildings Ordinance, commits an offence under Section 40(1C) of the Buildings Ordinance, the maximum penalty being a fine of $2,000 and imprisonment of 6 months.